Closing Date: 22 September 2016
Salary: A total remuneration package (in terms of Local Government: Upper limit of total remuneration packages payable to the Municipal Manager) per annum
|TOTAL COST||A total remuneration package (in terms of Local Government: Upper limit of total remuneration packages payable to the Municipal Manager) per annum may be offered subject to compliance with the minimum prescribed higher education qualification, experience and attainment of demonstrated evidence of competent, advanced or superior competency level as measured against the competency framework for municipal managers. (Grade 3 Municipality)|
|TERM||The post is subjected to a fixed term contract of employment not exceeding 5 years, as well as acceptable conduct and performance during the term|
|REF NO||Notice 193/2016|
The Municipal Manager, as Head of the Administration and Accounting Officer, will be responsible for the general performance of the organization and to manage and direct the administration and operational aspects of the Municipality in order to achieve the strategic objectives of Council.
Duties/Responsibilities: ●The development and management of an economically effective, accountable administration which is equipped to implement the municipality・s integrated development plan, to operate in accordance with the municipality・s performance management system and to understand the needs of the local community; ●The management of the provision of services to the local community in a sustainable and equitable manner; ●The appointment, training, discipline and effective utilization of staff; ●The promotion of sound labour relations and compliance with applicable labour legislation; ●Advising the political structures and political office bearers, managing communications between these parties as well as carrying out their decisions; ●The administration and implementation of the municipality・s by-laws and other legislation; ●Exercising of any powers and performing any duties delegated by the municipal council, or by other delegating authorities of the municipality; ●Facilitating participation by the local community in the affairs of the municipality; ●Developing and maintaining a system for the assessment of community satisfaction with municipal services; ● The performance of any other function that may be assigned by the municipal council and as accounting officer; ● Responsible for all income and expenditure of the municipality, all assets, the discharge of all liabilities of the municipality, as well as the proper and diligent compliance with applicable municipal finance management legislation.
In order to meet the needs of Bitou Municipality, the successful applicant must conform to the following requirements:
● B Degree in public administration/political sciences/social sciences/law, or equivalent at an acceptable institution; ●Compliance with the minimum competency requirements as legislated; ●A postgraduate qualification in fields related to public administration will be an added advantage; ●5 year・s minimum relevant experience at a senior management level and a proven institutional transformation record in the public or private sector; ●The required core competencies as stipulated in Annexures A and B of the Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers Government Notice 21 in Government Gazette 37245 dated 17 January 2014; ●Advanced knowledge and understanding of relevant policy and
legislation; ●Advanced understanding of institutional governance system and performance management; ●Advanced understanding of council operations and delegation of powers; ●Proven track record of good governance, audit and risk management, budget and finance management; ●Ability to be an innovative and strategic leader; ●Good facilitation and communication skills in at least two of the three official languages of the Western Cape; ●Valid driver’s license and NO criminal record.
Candidates must be willing to be subjected to an interview and evaluation process and be aware that previous employers and references will be contacted and their qualifications, credit and criminal records will be verified. The candidates will be required to disclose all financial interests.
All applications must be submitted with a detailed CV, certified copies of qualifications and ID document, the names of three references from current and previous employers and a fully completed application form, are available from the municipal website of the Municipality, to be couriered to Bitou Municipality, Private Bag X1002, Plettenberg Bay 6600, or hand delivered to the Human Resources Section, Sewell Street, Plettenberg Bay 6600. For attention the Acting Municipal Manager: Mr. Reginald Smit; for any enquiries you can contact the Acting Senior Manager: Human Resources, Mr. William Cloete on tell: 044 501 3000.
1. Appointments will made according to the Council’s Employment Equity Plan, which ensures representation of designated groups in the Municipality, including those with disabilities.
2. ONLY hard-copy applications will be considered. No electronic or faxed applications will be accepted.
3. No late applications will be considered. Canvassing of Councilors with the purpose of being appointed is not permitted and proof of such canvassing shall lead to disqualification.
4. Please quote reference number.
5. Appointment is subjected to the signing of an employment contract and performance agreement in terms of Section 57 of the Municipal Systems Act. The appointment will be done in accordance with the Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only, if you do not receive a response within 3 months from closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful. Bitou reserves the right not to make any appointments.
ACTING MUNICIPAL MANAGER CLOSING DATE: 22 September 2016 at 14h00Notice 193 of 2016_Municipal Manager (Closing 22 09 2016) (182.39KB) Last published 12 March 2019